On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, Robert Huff wrote:

 There are many users who never create any patches, but simply use the
 ports tree to install software.

Add my name to that list.

Mine too; this is a great way to drive "ordinary users" away from FreeBSD and towards, gasp, Penguin/OS...

I took up FreeBSD when BSD/OS was shut down by WinDriver and found that the OpenBSD bods weren't too friendly towards newbies; the Mac is now my major system (with porting attempts to FreeBSD and Penguin, then back). Well, at least it has FreeBSD roots...

(Used to use cvsup ... now subversion ... soon git ... where will
the insanity end?   :-) )

Hah! I started with SCCS :-) Before that we had an in-house system called SLUP (Source Line Update Program? This was in the 70s, and was based upon that canonical example of diff/ed).

-- Dave