On Thursday 18 July 2002 20:09, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 07:15:10AM -0700, Balaji, Pavan wrote:
> > By default, cdrom is /dev/acd0c is only mountable by root in FreeBSD. You
> > can make it mountable by normal users by changing the /etc/fstab entry to
> > users,ro,noauto
> >
> > /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660 users,ro,noauto   0
> > 0
>
> Hmm, just edited my /etc/fstab to look like this, and I get a different
> message:
>
> cd9660: -o users: option not supported

That's what I got when I borrowed the relevent line from my Linux
/etc/fstab. Being a hopeless beginner I presumed this was a naive
error on my part and discretely forgot to mention it.

> However, google brought me this:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOPPY
>MOUNT

Thanks, but been there, done that (see my original mail).

So, what's up? At the moment things look like this?

localuser@localhost > uname -a
FreeBSD localhost.local 4.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE #0: Sun Jul 14
17:14:44 CEST 2002     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL_1
i386

(I recompiled the kernel for ext2fs support)

root# sysctl -a | fgrep vfs\.usermount
vfs.usermount: 1

localuser@localhost > ls -ld /cdrom
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jul 14 18:10 /cdrom
localuser@localhost > ls -l /dev/acd0c
crw-rw----  4 root  operator  117,   0 Jul 14 18:15 /dev/acd0c
localuser@localhost > groups
localuser wheel operator
localuser@localhost > cat /etc/fstab | fgrep cdrom
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto,users 0       0
localuser@localhost > mount /cdrom
cd9660: -o users: option not supported
localuser@localhost >  mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c  ~/cdrom
localuser@localhost >  ls ~/cdrom
EULA            README          RedHat          autorun
GPL             RPM-GPG-KEY     TRANS.TBL

(well, it was the first one I had to hand ;-)

Any ideas? Just wondering...
(I may of course be overlooking something).

S.Mazerski