On Thursday 18 July 2002 02:54 pm, Steve Mazerski wrote:
| On Thursday 18 July 2002 20:09, Daniel Bye wrote:
| > On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 07:15:10AM -0700, Balaji, Pavan wrote:
| > > By default, cdrom is /dev/acd0c is only mountable by root in FreeBSD.
| > > You can make it mountable by normal users by changing the /etc/fstab
| > > entry to users,ro,noauto
| > >
| > > /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660 users,ro,noauto   0
| > > 0
| >
| > Hmm, just edited my /etc/fstab to look like this, and I get a different
| > message:
| >
| > cd9660: -o users: option not supported

Right.  That's because you can't do that in FreeBSD.  I wish you could, too.
At least, it's never worked for me.

| > However, google brought me this:
| >
| > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOP
| >PY MOUNT

That's ok if you can live with users being able to mount only into their own
directories, but I found that rather awkward.

I use "op" (from the ports/packages) to permit ordinary users to mount the
cdrom.  This is a sort of "super sudo" command that you use to give limited
or full access with or without passwords to various commands.

It means that ordinary users would mount with

   op mount /cdrom

rather than just

   mount /cdrom.

Myself, I alias

   mount

   op mount

in my "ordinary user" profile.

--
Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org