Hello Brian,
     Thanks for the reply.

As I'm actually still going through bringing the up to a "usable state", the
disappeared user accounts are not too much of a problem at the moment. Its the
lack of authentication for root login I'm really concerned with on this point!

I'll take a look at XFree86Config and check for anything untoward. I've not used
ktrace, nor kdump before. Are they used in the same way as truss?

However, as I do intend on upgrading XFree86 to XFree86-4.2.1 today, would it be
more effective to re-install (remove > install latest version), or simply
upgrade the current version (via portupgrade)?

ps waux - show process report, [-a: include all process with a tty session] +
[-u:  report user ID for each process listed] + [-w: show wide output]

So, seeing that apache is configured to start on bootup, I would have expected
to see a process called httpd running with variou runtime options listed in the
returned process table - which of course, I don't.

I really am hoping that I could aviod having the reinstall FBSD again here. This
install's taken well over two days of debugging already:-

initial install took the default XFree86-3.3.6x (didn't want that)
The box hung at installation when I included gnome desktop (hence only
XFree86-4.0.2 installed this time around)

Well., thanks again for taking the time, Brian. Hope that what I've included
here lights a few bulbs in a few peoples' heads before too long.

Stacey