On Tuesday 17 September 2002 08:10 pm, Weston M. Price appears to have
written:
> And even weirder....when I do put in a data cd....it is mounted as
>
> /dev/acd0c which according to dmesg doesn't even exists....yet it is
> in the /dev directory structure.

the "c" in "acd0c" says it is the "c" partition on acd0.  By default,
the "c" partition is the entire disk.  So yes, if acd0 exists, acd0c
exists.  And just because it is in /dev, doesn't mean it actually
exists.  It just means that if it did exist, you would have a way
to refer to it.

But you are confusing me.  I thought you couldn't mount your CDs?
Are you having problems with data CDs, or only music CDs?

> Weston
>
> On Wednesday 18 September 2002 04:03 am, Anish Mistry wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 September 2002 06:04 pm, Weston M. Price wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >   I recently built a new kernel to incorporate sound on my
> > > machine.
> >
> > Everything
> >
> > > seemed to come off without a hitch, no problems whatsoever. I
> > > followed the handbook and added a line to my custom kernel.
> > >
> > > device pcm
> > >
> > > I purposely left out options PNPBIOS just to make sure everything
> > > went all right to begin with
> > >
> > > After this I made sure to check everything to make sure all my
> > > system functionality remained intact....again, there appeared to
> > > be no problems.
> > >
> > > This evening I went to mount one of my cdrom drives and the
> > > machine kept giving me a problem saying
> > >
> > > cd9660: /dev/acd0c : Invalid Argument

Maybe something you changed had an effect on your device definitions.
Try
   cd /dev
   sh ./MAKEDEV all

to rebuild all of your devices.

> > Try mounting /dev/acd0a.  I ran into this problem a while ago.
> >
> > > I checked /etc/fstab and the entry for both /cdrom and /cdrom1
> > > remained the same as before, they are as follows:
> > >
> > > /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0
> > >       0 /dev/acd1c              /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto
> > >       0       0

the /etc/fstab entry won't change unless you change it.  It doesn't
get updated automatically.  I assume the mangled lines are caused
by an email problem?

> > > however, when I took a look a dmesg I found the following:
> > >
> > > dmesg | egrep acd
> > > acd0: CDROM <LTN486S> at ata1-master PIO4
> > > acd1: CD-RW <HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B> at ata1-slave PIO4
> > >
> > > To tell the truth, really have no idea how this happened. Does
> > > anyone have

What are you saying happened?  This looks normal to me.  You have
two CD drives.  Your CDROM gets mounted as /cdrom, and your CD-RW
gets mounted as /cdrom1

> > any
> >
> > > ideas, and more importantly, how do I get the cdrom(s) back? I am
> > > running FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE. Thanks for anyhelp anyone can
> > > give me.

Start by rebuilding your devices, as above.    If you can mount a data
CD as root, then try it as a normal user.  If that works, then as far as
I know, how you mount a music CD depends on what program you
are using to play the music.  It might be expecting a link that isn't
there, e.g.
/dev/cdrom may need to point to /dev/acd0

- Bob