> And even weirder....when I do put in a data cd....it is mounted as
>
> /dev/acd0c which according to dmesg doesn't even exists....yet it is in the
> /dev directory structure.

This is the way it is supposed to work.
The device in dmesg will be acd0, while it will be
referred to when mounting (as in your fstab) as /dev/acd0c.

In a similar fashion, you will notice that your disk drives are
detected (if IDE) as ad0, ad1 etc in dmesg, although in
/etc/fstab they are listed by partition as /dev/ad0s1a etc when
they are being mounted.

The additional letter refers to the partition. For the cdrom,
the letter c refers to "the whole disk".

Your initial confusion seems to be due to the fact that you were trying
to mount a music cd. This is not what you do, you "play" music cd's.
You can use a variety of things to do this, from the basic,
cdcontrol (see the man page), to the graphical interface
variety, e.g. xcdplayer in the ports.

If you want to extract the music off the CD as a .wav file, you
don't mount the cd, you use a ripping tool, like cdda2wav (from
the cdrtools port).

Hope that makes more sense.

Cheers,
Greg