On Thursday 26 September 2002 08:02 am, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> All that said, even old (16bit)NE2000 clone will easily sustain
> 800+kB/s on my old 133Mhz Pentium with CPU load 20% or so. 400kB/s
> versus 100kB/s throughput difference in this particular case isn't
> matter of 3Com vs. Via NIC, I guess. I'll suggest trying out
> IPFilter (ipf) and let us know of the results.

Yeah, and I run ipfirewall/divert/natd on PII-300's between xl0 and fxp0
and have no thruput problems. I don't remember what or if he said his
firewall ruleset was like, or if it was "open". The difference between
his system and my systems is a built-for-cheap Rhine chipset NIC.

Rhythm is important in TCP/IP. When all the rowers stroke in unison then
the boat moves fast and smooth. When one rower strokes to a different
drum then the ride is rougher. Ssh via terminal on MacOS X to FreeBSD
sshd is bursty and slow to update the terminal window when connected
thru my ipfw/FreeBSD router. Better Telnet With SSH under Classic is
slick and smooth. Scp in the terminal window has excellent thruput. The
burstyness of ssh is due to conflicting rhythms of the schedulers on
the remote end, firewall, and the MacOS client end. And I think the
same sort of thing is happening in this thread.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]