Hi Andrew,
   Thanks for contacting me, Dude.,

You'd never believe this, but I was following that very IBM article
mentioned in your reply and I finally got the "Welcome to <domain>" box
pop up for me.

I clicked "OK" on that, and the machine went through the "You must
reboot in order for the changes to take effect" bit.

The machine back alright, but when I attempted to log as an ordinary
user, I got a message saying that no profile could be located, and that
a local profile would be used instead. Clicking "OK" on that, however,
brought up another message saying that no *local* profile could be
located either., so a "Temporary" profile will be used.

I *can* now see my other *NIX machines on the network, and the user is
able to browse the network (love the look of the "H" drive showing up!)
as well.

Not sure of the profile errors though.., here's what my smb.conf has
concerning this:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/10/30 23:39:22

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = VICKIANDSTACEY
        netbios name = DEMON
        server string = Samba Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        domain admin group = root @wheel
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
        logon drive = H:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        admin users = root @wheel
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
        share modes = No

[Profiles]
        path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

<snipped>

I'm sure I read somewhere that I needn't worry about the fact that I've
not actually had to create user profiles on the PDC, since samba creates
these when a user logs in for the first time.

Please let me know if I'm wrong on this.

Thanks again for the kind reply.

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts