First let me tell you that I they gave me the solution, so now my driver prints: I had installed ghostscript as a pkg when the ghostscript driver (stp stcolor) required by apsfilter was only available through compilation from the port. I had no luck with cups, not even the web interface wanted to open, nor the commands to answer . I suppose I'll have to study how this application works some day (the ghostscript Makefile warns: stp is outdated).

yes I'm using ulpt0 - sorry if I don't catch the difference between I/O services!
no, before installing the driver it was not possible to print anything!

Anyway many thanks for your concern.