----- Original Message -----
From: "Michelle Weeks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FreeBSD Questions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 6:12 PM
Subject: upgrading sendmail to 8.12.6

> I am running freebsd 4.6.2-Release and would like to upgrade
> sendmail from 8.12.3 to 8.12.6.  I tried using make and make install
> from /usr/ports/mail/sendmail and then restarted sendmail
> using the killall -HUP command.  However, when I telnet to localhost port
> 25, it shows that 8.12.3 is still running.  Am I missing a step or do I
need
> to delete the older version of sendmail before installing the newer
> version?

Sendmail read its version number (what it will show on connect) off its
/etc/sendmail.cf file. It will hold an entry that says something like:

  # Configuration version number

  DZ8.12.3

Unless you specifically build a new sendmail.cf (with m4), and installed it,
it will simply display the old string.

- Mark