On Mar 27, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Chris writes:

Tell that to the MS developers then - perhaps they will listen to you.

Done.

What did they say?

Tell them to stop producing bloated code.

I've tried, but that is both a tendency of many developers (especially PC developers) and a marketing imperative.

Isn't that how many FOSS projects get started...do some task more efficiently and "better"?

Code that allows every 12 year-old on the planet to code a new back
door, Trojan, or virus.

Bloat alone doesn't allow that,

Nope, but it sure makes it a lot simpler! Actually it helps hamper finding bugs that allow it to happen.

and Microsoft code isn't any more
vulnerable to this than any other code of comparable complexity for PC
systems.

As has been shown time and time again in Microsoft-sponsored studies comparing Windows to Linux. After removing the power supply and encasing my system in concrete, it is FAR more secure than I've ever dreamt possible, and that was with it running DOS! :-)

Tell them - and once they start doing that - maybe the real technical
users around the world won't snicker when they here the word,
Microsoft.

What does any of this have to do with FreeBSD?

They're among the chorus that keeps snickering.