Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Chris writes:

I disagree - If FBSD does not (or did not) know of the HP/Compaq tweakes
in the microcode, how can you claim it's broken?

Because it works with Windows NT.

If MS does not support or have a driver for so-and-so app or hardware,
does it also mean Windows is broken?

No, but if the base code in the OS fails to handle the hardware properly, Windows is broken. As for drivers, it depends on the hardware. Nobody has demonstrated to me that the hardware on this machine is so exotic that it cannot be supported with standard drivers thus far. And the copy of Windows I ran came right off the shelf; it was not a "tweaked" version from HP (such a version came preinstalled, but the first thing I did with the hardware was wipe the hard disk).

According to you, it is. According to the vast majority, it's not
broken, it's merely unsupported.

Same thing.

And we really don't know if it's supported or not.  I _still_ do not
know what the messages mean, and neither does anyone else here.
Everyone is just _guessing_ and freely speculating in the direction that
he finds most pleasing.

You could say the same about your hardware based on what you just said,
if FBSD does not have the teaks to the driver version you need, then (as
you think) your hardware is broken.

Yes ... except that it worked with Windows NT.

Why not just agree that both FBSD AND your hardware are broken?
Oh - I know, it worked for 8 years...

Yes.

Read above to if MS don't support or have a driver for x, y, and z -
then as you say, Windows is broken.

Yes. But offhand I don't recall anything for which I was unable to obtain a Windows driver.

Ok - I'm about to set the game point and win this one. Anthony, you of all people know that with NT 4, you have learned that one MUST read the HCL (Hardware Compatability List) BEFORE you try to install. That being said, you also know that if it aint on the HCL, you're SOL *Shake your head yes*

Ok, now - being that you know this, did you check FBSD's version of the HCL BEFORE you installed? Did it specifically list that adapter WITH the HP/Compaq enhanced microcode?

NO - It does not. So, what does that mean? That means it not listed as a supported item. What does that mean? Well - much like the HCL list of NT4, YOU are on your own.

You can't argue with that - and if you can, you are showing that you are indeed out of your mind.

-- Best regards, Chris

PGP Fingerprint = D976 2575 D0B4 E4B0 45CC AA09 0F93 FF80 C01B C363