Reference:

NMH wrote:
> Hi all
>   I know hard drives tend to not run well when near
> full. They have trouble performing self adjustments
> (hardware), self defragging(unix/FFS) etc..

I usually run near full.
I dont have problems ('cept overflow ;-)

man tunefs

& you'll realise most FS's arent run full anyway
(but even if I
        tunefs -m 0  -o space
I dont normally have problems ( though OK, it'd be slow if multi person usage)

Cross posting 2 lists is deprecated, so I dropped freebsd-hardware@
as this question is too basic for hardware@ as well as [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.