Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:

On Jun 30, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

markzero wrote:

Oh the joys of binary drivers.

I awake from a peaceful slumber after a portupgrade to find that
I suddenly no longer have X. [...]

(WW) The NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro GPU installed in
(WW)      this system is supported through the NVIDIA Legacy
(WW)      drivers. Please visit
(WW)      http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
(WW)      information.  The 1.0-7667 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
(WW)      GPU.  Continuing probe... (EE) No devices detected.

The NVIDIA Legacy drivers magically fail to exist on the NVIDIA
site and there appears no be no port for them either.

Can you use the x.org "nv" driver instead? I've never really figured out what the binary driver buys you over the standard one, but then all I do is run X with fvwm2, mainly for software development, so I have never needed any "fancy" features. (I've never had a TNT2, but I believe it's supported).

Man nv says under supported cards:

         RIVA TNT2             NV5

I am having the same problem with a RIVA TNT card. Changing the driver from nvidia to nv in /etc/X11/xorg.conf allows me to enter X11. This is all unfortunate, however. These binary drivers provide GLX extensions to X11 for NVIDIA cards (so I could type glxgears at the prompt and have it actually do something). I hope this site exists soon and someone makes a port for it; I enjoyed knowing that if I needed to play an OpenGL game that wasn't too hardcore, I could do it with this computer (I could actually play Quake 3 pretty well with those drivers).

As far as I understand, the *only* people who can make that driver exists again are NVidia. I suggest you contact them and ask why they removed support for your graphics card. I don't expect that they will care or do anything, but they certainly won't if you don't tell them.

--Alex