Deyan Dyankov wrote:

I'm not sure that this is the problem, but ..keep in mind, that ssh
encrypts the data and ftp doesn't.
The delay might be actually the time for encryption, right?

Yes, this is a possibility, and I'll revisit it tonight. I thought I'd looked at the CPU usage during transfer, but I should do so again. It still seems strange to me that SSH got slower over Gigabit. It it had just not gotten faster, then the encryption would be the obvious culprit, but to get slower...

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to turn off the encryption for SSH, which would be the easiest test.

Thanks for the suggestion,

--Alex