Nick Barnes wrote:
[ ... ]
I don't want to have to do all that ever again, after this iteration.

You've had a learning experience, I see.  :-)

So I'm thinking I probably want to move to a RAID mirror filesystem,
and keep some sort of quality backups offsite.

1. RAID mirror filesystem questions:

1a: should this be vinum?  I have read and can follow the handbook
   instructions for a vinum root filesystem.

You should use a "real" (not software-driven) hardware RAID solution, say from 3ware or Promise for (parallel) ATA or SATA, or maybe Adaptec or LSI's SCSI-based RAID hardware if you want to get fancy and are willing to spend the extra bucks. Note that a good RAID controller comes with a small internal battery backup which it's cache and the drives are powered off of.

1b: Will it help to upgrade to 5.x, to get this to go smoothly?

Upgrading to 5.x is a seperate matter, but if you are rebuilding the box, it's a reasonable idea. 5.4 is only a bit different from 4.11 in terms of visible changes which might affect how you use it, but there are a lot of improvements underneath in terms of ACPI and USB support, as well as obviously better SMP (which is less likely to matter for a uniprocessor desktop).

2. taking backups offsite.  Seems to me that the best route is a
   number of external firewire hard disks.  This machine doesn't have
   motherboard firewire, so I'll need to get a PCI firewire board.

2a: Recommendations for an affordable PCI firewire board?

The VIA 6202 (I almost said 6502, but that was another era :-) works good, as does the firewire interface found on sound cards from a common vendor. Limited testing suggests that they all have very similiar performance and CPU overhead.

2b: Should I upgrade to 5.x for the better firewire hardware support?

The firewire support in 4.x seems to be very good, actually, and I think speaks highly of the people who wrote it.

3c: Opinions on using firewire hard disks for this at all?  Would I be
    better off writing DVDs?

Hard drives provide near-online backup, but only a single full iteration. You can do incrementals to DVD or CD-RW or tape, and keep many iterations handy, which is far more reliable.

3. making backups.

3a: I'm used to dump/restore, but it seems to me that rsync might be a
    better tool for this, as it would allow me to mount and browse the
    backup.  Opinions?

This is good if you set up an entire system as a backup, although you could dual-purpose that box and have it act as a fileserver, proxy server, who knows, as well.

--
-Chuck