Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
On Jul 15, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
Sure. But a single spare HD is a single point of failure. Having one tape per week or per month going back 10 or 100 tapes gives much more redundancy....

Better yet -- using dump, backup to HD and then copy that dump file to tape or CD/DVD or another HD...

I use 2 HDs and alternate which one I dump to each week.

Agreed. Having an online backup location which then gets dumped to tape or some second place is excellent, since it makes restoring via rsync or whatever very easy.

As someone else suggested, you can also stick things like config files into version control (like CVS, subversion, etc), and then back that up via the mechanism above.

--
-Chuck