Hi,

I have done a minimal FreeBSD 5.4 install onto single partition ad0s1a  I
then mounted my 512MB Compact Flash ide drive on ad2s1.

When I run this command su'ed as root:
   tar --one-file-system cf - -C / . | tar xpvf - -C /mnt

I find that all the directories end up with permissions of:   drwx------

Even running:   dump 0af - / | restore xf -   gives the same result.

If I manually create a directory on the CF /mnt I get the correct
permissions!  Files copied over via tar and dump are ok.  I have used tar to
copy HD contents to larger HD,s before with out a problem.

Umask is set to 22, and this is being done in a tcsh shell.

Any clue on whats going on?

Cheers,

Paul Hamilton.