Zan wrote:
5.8 is from ports. 5.0.6. i think, is system based

In my 'usr/local/BIN' perl5.8.0 already exists.

ok

you need to install the perl from ports before using "use.perl port".

What I want to know is how to switch to 5.8.0 WITHOUT using "use.perl port" because I already tried that, and it does not work!

what do you mean / how do you know 'it doesnt work'. It has always worked fine for me, both on a full system and jails.

It will add some options to /etc/rc.conf. You will have to rebuild all perl-related ports so it starts using the perl from ports rather than from system

virtual hoster? can you download the ports collection and use it? (check that you can compile first ;) )

Yes, I am on a virtual hosting account, and am very enthralled with freebsd.

;-) welcome aboard!