Lowell Gilbert wrote:
Don't top-post, please.

Wayne Witzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Wayne Witzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've googled the error, but the information was mostly related to cd
burning or errors in different releases from months or years
ago. Nothing recent that I could find.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on and how I can fix whatever it is?

You could talk to the main ATA developer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), but he
will almost certainly want to know what happens with more recent
code.  Can you try updating your system?

Thank you for your reply!

Are you talking about upgrading to the 6.0-BETA?  Is it a fairly
transparent process, or is it going to require a lot of reconfiguring
and reinstalling?  I'm not sure I have time to update if that's the
case.  I'm working under a deadline at the moment.

RELENG_5 would be an improvement.  It's not necessary, but developers
find it much easier to debug recent code than older versions.

I'm a little confused...  I thought I had RELENG_5_4.  "uname -a" says:

FreeBSD wlaptop 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #1: Thu Oct 6 21:18:29 EDT 2005
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WLAPTOP  i386

Isn't this RELENG_5_4?

Is there anything that I can do to capture more information the next
time my computer reboots spontaneously?

Try to get a crash dump.  There's more information on it in the
Handbook.  And some related information on panic analysis (if you can
get it to that point) in the FAQ.

I'll try that, it doens't sound too difficult. Just so I know, if I was going to see a kernel panic message, I'd be seeing one before the computer reboots, right?

Thank you again!

Wayne