Keith Bottner wrote:

I have not compiled a kernel. This is a standard FreeBSD 5.4-Release
installation. How can I check to see if the loadable module is installed?

Have a look in /var/run/dmesg.boot and see if you have a line like

sk0: unknown media type 0xff

If so, plug your card into the network and try again. Even if you don't see such a line, try it if you haven't already. If that doesn't work then what does /var/run/dmesg.boot show for sk0 and skc0?

I have an SMC card based which fails to attach without a cable -- not sure if it needs to be plugged in to a router or not. The onboard chipset on a different PC has no such failing.

--Alex