Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Yance Kowara
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 4:33 AM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD router two DSL connections

--- Eric F Crist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Dec 12, 2005, at 2:05 AM, Yance Kowara wrote:

Ted,

Thanks for the advice.

A friend of mine has just acquired an Internet

Cafe.

The previous owner connected the lan to 2

different

ADSL (two different ISPs) one is a back up he

said.

So, two ADSL routers with half the Lan connected

one router and another half to the other router.

I am just thingking of a way to optimise the
connection and came accross Steven's article. I
thought I could do something similar with *BSD +

pf.

There is such thing as Dual Wan ADSL router:
http://www.infosmart.com.tw/p-ndr3024.htm

However, they are quite pricey compare to setting

up a

*BSD box (using old readily available hardware).

So, if this load balancing idea does not work, any
other thing I can do to optimise two DSLs?

I also came accross this (linux way):

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.rpdb.multiple-

links.html

Is this worth trying?

Kind regards,

Yance,

The reason, without a pretty heavily involved
configuration, this won't work is packet routing. Unless you're using BGP, Border Gateway Protocol, you're not going to reliably route return packets to any interface other than the interface it was transmitted from. I'm guessing that the dual-wan device you speak of handles some things differently. Something like a large file download is going to fail to utilize the full bandwidth, however, because of the nature of the traffic. If you really need to boost network bandwidth, you're going to be forced into either working directly with an ISP to link multiple DSL channels, or, more likely, obtain business-class service over a T1/T3 setup.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks
http://www.secure-computing.net

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Hmmmmmm, what about putting zebra into the picture ...
a solution or chaos?

What feature in Zebra exactly do you think will help in
this scenario?

Ted

You could, if the purpose is to combine bandwidth accross multiple DSL links, use multi-link PPP, afaik - the only way to do so is through mpd (/usr/ports/net/mpd) ... not catch the whole thread, so feel free to correct me if wrong, mpd should work for you.

--
Nathan Vidican
[EMAIL PROTECTED]