David Miao wrote:
Dear list,

I try to compile a hello world C++ program in FreeBSD 6.0, but get an
error as below:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/cpp]% CC -o hello hello.C
hello.C: In function `int main()':
hello.C:5: error: `cout' undeclared (first use this function)
hello.C:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
for each function it appears in.)
hello.C:5: error: `endl' undeclared (first use this function)

I noticed that "iostream" file is located in
"/usr/include/c++/3.4/iostream", I guess my CC compiler cannot find
this head file. Is it true? And how can I fix this problem? Your
advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

==quote of hello world code==
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    cout << "Hello World!" << endl;

    return 0;
}
== end of quote==

Regards,
David

gcc assumes a '.C' file is ANSI C, not C++, try:

mv hello.C hello.cpp && gcc -o hello.exe hello.cpp

simple hellow world:

#include <iostream.h>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc,char* argv[]) {