On Saturday 24 December 2005 07:34, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- "Michael C. Shultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 December 2005 06:54, Daniel A.
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Andy,
> > >
> > > I am sorry for the trouble you have had with
> >
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > > I suggest that you use Linux, as FreeBSD
> >
> > really is not targeted at
> >
> > > people who want to use graphical user
> >
> > interfaces.
> >
> > In a few key areas FreeBSD is a better desktop
> > OS than Linux:  Easier to keep
> > the kernel/world and installed ports up to date
> > for example without having
> > to resort to the microsoft/Linux fixall method
> > of removing and reinstalling
> > everything every now and again.  Your opinion
> > is correct IMO that FreeBSD
> > managers put most emphasis on FreeBSD as a
> > server and little as a desktop.
> > My guess is because donations(cash) and
> > hardware support for developers
> > come from people who want servers while people
> > who want a desktop OS tend to
> > donate squat....
> >
> > > The linux developers really have been trying
> >
> > to make a valuable
> >
> > > replacement for Windows, as they somehow have
> >
> > experienced the same
> >
> > > issues with Windows (And Microsoft products
> >
> > in general) that you have.
> >
> > > One Linux distribution in particular that I
> >
> > think you might like, is
> >
> > > Ubuntu. You can download it at
> >
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/, or order a
> >
> > > CD (Free shipping, free CD, you pay nothing).
> >
> > Advertising Linux in a FreeBSD mailing list?
> > Sounds like you may have more of
> > axe to grind against the FreeBSD management
> > folk than a desire to offer sound
> > advice....
> >
> > -Mike
>
> Why not just tell the truth, which is that
> Windows XP is the best that you can do for the
> desktop, and that there is no perfect solution
> that works perfectly in every scenario?

What I suppose you really mean is why don't I just agree
with you ;)

> FreeBSD
> and Linux *should* focus on server functions,
> because that is where MS is weak and that is
> where its needed. There will likely never be a
> solid reason to use BSD or linux as a desktop
> other than religion; while there are many
> compelling reasons to use BSD and/or linux
> servers.

Your opinion.  Mine is FreeBSD has the potential to be
a better desktop than either ms or Linux. The big problem
at the moment is with web browser plugins.  Desktop users
coming from ms land demand these and FreeBSD simply
comes up short in supporting them.  I have faith that will
change eventually.

> When you try to be everything to everyone and you
> don't have the resources of a MS, then you end up
> with mediocre results.

This is the key, how to get the FreeBSD teams resources
for focusing developent towards desktop users?  I believe
if given proper resources they will do it.

-Mike