Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:14:29AM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
Hey people,

I'm running 5.4, and I just found a ton of these in my daily security run.

kanga.digitaltorque.ca kernel log messages:
swap_pager_getswapspace(6): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(5): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(4): failed
I'm running jdk 1.4.2 and tomcat 5.5.9, and I noticed that it was down
this morning. My swap is fine now.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ad0s1b        482120    66268   415852    14%

So I'm assuming that there's a memory leak in jdk 1.4.2, and it slowly
used up all my memory.

Sound right?

Or you just don't have enough virtual memory (RAM + swap) to handle
your peak loads.  This is perhaps more likely.

Kris

I'd almost offer "definitely more likely", as the amount of swap
shown is less than 1/2 GB.  Michael, how much RAM on this box?

I once set up a box with 256M RAM and 512M swap, which was
all good && fine until I got a few extra $$ and decided to up the
RAM to 768M.  After that, it died most every evening with Xorg
running out of swapspace.

If you've more RAM than swap, it's very possible that any process,
but especially larger ones, could cause problems like this. Fortunately, it's not too difficult to add some swap --- provided
you've some unformatted disk space available.

Kevin Kinsey

--
You have a reputation for being thoroughly reliable and trustworthy.
A pity that it's totally undeserved.