I know there might be a better sendmail/related mailing list to send this to, but figured I'd drop it here and give it a shot - sorry for the cross post, but I subscribe to -questions so figured it'd be okay and beneficial to other users too. Anyhow, on with the problem:

I have an entry like this in /etc/mail/aliases:

someolduserwhoquit:     550:"The user you have attempted to send mail to no \
                        longer exists on this system, please see\
                        http://www... for details or a new contact"

(not exact; in alias file it's all on one line with no \ )

alias works exactly as expected; when someone sends a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED], it bounces their message back with the error string I quoted. The problem then, becomes SPAM (lol - when is SPAM NOT a problem eh?).

example:
 - (faked) from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - sends a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - tries to bounce message back, in-turn getting message bounced back to
   our postmaster saying 'no valid user here for [EMAIL PROTECTED]'

So, to the question part... how can I setup an alias to either ignore the bounce-back it gets, (ie to blindly send the bounce itself), or is it possible to specify a different from address on our server's end so when/if the other receiving server doesn't have a valid from address it just drops the reply on our end, like so:

- our server gets mail faked from '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' to [EMAIL PROTECTED] - our server bounces said message back to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with notification that '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' points to an old/invalid address, our server sends from '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' - their server (this case hotmail), bounces back saying 'hey - don't have a joeblow@ here' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- [EMAIL PROTECTED] just drops any incoming message (/dev/null kinda deal)

Is this possible? Or should I perhaps be seeking a better way to do this all together? I'm getting some 30+ Postmaster reply errors a day and it's getting really annoying, however I do need to send some sort of error/notification to valid (real) emails sent to the wrong address. In some cases an employee has moved, transferred, quit, or retired and a different person has taken their place - as such I need like a grace period and a better way to do this. Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

--
Nathan Vidican
[EMAIL PROTECTED]