On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Vayu wrote:

On Saturday 25 March 2006 06:36, Tim wrote:
Why couldn't you guys make a install easy instead of this and that, ok I
am a newbie and it should be easy, I have installed Ubuntu, it was like
a dream, smooth as silk, Fedora pretty much the same FreeBSD, its a
nitemare if you have never done it, I am now reloading windows and then
putting back Ubuntu, unless someone over there can make it simple even
for me.

Tim Stevens
Hi Tim,

most experienced FreeBSD users consider FreeBSD's high configurability and scalability (I hope this word is correct) its biggest advantage over alternative OS's. This - on the other hand - is its biggest disadvantage from a beginners point of view: You *have* to configure most stuff yourself, you *need* some idea what you are gong to do, beforehand.

So, if you just need a ready made and working OS, you should stick with Ubuntu, Debian and friends. If you want to learn something about "The Secret Life Of Your Computer" (programming, administration, etc. ) stay patient with yourself and with FreeBSD and become one of "us guys" :-)

Regards,

Uli.

Who are "you guys"?
I installed Ubuntu as my very first open source OS last Aug.  Since then I've
installed it on 5 computers and now FreeBSD on 2 computers.  From a beginners
viewpoint I find both installers pretty comparable and actually quite
similar.  Instead of issuing a blanket criticism that I'm not sure is even
true, why don't you ask about the specific issues you are having a problem
with?