On Apr 2, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:

On 4/2/06, james g. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
FreeBSD Land:

I've seen this question asked on this very list, and once or twice on
the web, but have yet to find a solution.

I'm attempting to compile jdk15 on an older machine, and at first
attempted it on a 4.11 install. The failures there encouraged me to
finally upgrade the machine to 6.0.

So now, I have a fully patched, fresh 6.0 installation. The machine
has 128MB physical ram, and I doubled the default swap space. When I
continued to run into memory errors while attempting to compile the
jdk, I added an additional swap file of 512MB. Even with all this
additional swap space, I'm getting the following compilation error
every time:

`/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/build/bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/
bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/
build/bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
Compiling ../generated/adfiles/ad_i486.cpp
virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory
gmake[3]: *** [ad_i486.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/ build/
bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
gmake[2]: *** [the_vm] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/ build/
bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
gmake[1]: *** [jvmg] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/ build/
bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp'
gmake: *** [jvmg] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.

Does jdk15 really require more swapspace? I don't making the
additional swap file larger, but pushing 1GB of swap already is
leading me to believe there is another cause.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'd really like to get jdk15
installed and running on this specific machine, despite it's age.

Cheers,
James

AFAICT yes, it is possible that 1Gb (try 2Gb to be sure) swap
will solve it. I can start trying to imagine how long it would take
to compile jdk15, though. And even if you do succeed, an
average java application can take about 100Mb of RAM
right from the start. So you should really choose between a
newer box and a sensible programming language.

Thanks for the tip. I upped the additional swapfile size to 2GB and tried again, with the same results.

Granted I understand that expecting so much from this little machine is really pushing it, it will eventually just be running a small java- based server, that unfortunately requires jdk15. I wouldn't ever choose it on purpose.

With a total swap size of roughly 2.5GB still generating failures, is this a lost cause, or should I be looking for additional solutions?

Cheers,
James