On Friday 14 April 2006 10:39, Günther Darwin wrote:
> Hi, I was running the buildkernel command when the computer suddenly froze
> and the only option i had was a 'hard reset' unfortunatley it wasn't all
> trouble free this time. When i try to start FreeBSD
> I get the message: Init can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc Exec format error.
>
> I have tried to boot into Multiuser mode, with this error message
> i have tried to boot into singeuser mode, with the same error message
> i have tried to boot into failsafe mode with the same error message
> i have tried to clean all my partions with fsck -y (in Fixit# mode), with
> the same error message
> i have checked that sh is where it's supposed to be (ls /bin/sh)
> i have tried smashing my head against the wall with the same error message

You do have backups, don't you?

You could try a binary upgrade. Other than that you're looking at doing a
restore.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Mangohealth
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - XanGo - http://www.mangohealth.org