On FreeBSD 6.0 with bind9, if I define a host to have multiple A records, such that some IP addresses are listed more than once, for example:

.
.
.
www             600             IN A  192.168.1.1
                        600             IN A      192.168.1.2
                        600             IN A  192.168.1.1
.
.
.

Will those addresses listed more than once show up more often as the "answer" to name server requests (or more often as the first address since it lists all addresses in response alternating the order)??

I am trying to achieve really crude weighting in my load distribution.

I've been running this way for some time and in looking at snapshots of server traffic, it sometimes look like it is doing so and sometimes not, but my measurements are not really accurate.

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC