Richard Collyer wrote:
Hello,

I've recently been getting a lot of trouble with SpamAssassin performing a lot of rDNS lookups which is causing network issues (timeouts etc to DNS servers).

I am trying to install BIND (or djbdns) as a simple caching nameserver. Just to take some of the load off the networks DNS servers (my ISPs).

However I am having trouble finding a good tutorial to follow.

I've looked at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dns.html but its mainly going on about being a nameserver which is not what I am after, wanting to keep it more simple than that.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/local/etc] $ named -v
BIND 9.3.1

Can anyone suggest me a good tutorial to follow, I've googled but mostly they are for debain/redhat and some of the commands and files are different.

DJB's instructions for running a cache on a workstation is the simplest set of instructions I know of. I've used them for years with great success o all my servers. Good for web and mail servers as well SA.

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/run-cache.html

I also recommend the SpamAssassin Wiki. Look under the heading "Performance Tips:".

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsingSpamAssassin

DAve

--
This message was checked by forty monkeys and
found to not contain any SPAM whatsoever.

Your monkeys may vary