On Wednesday 26 April 2006 13:22, Bill Moran wrote:

> memtest86 is also available as a bootable CD.

So it is

> How long did you run it for?  I don't trust the results unless I let
> it run for at least 8 hours.  _Any_ errors are bad, especially on a
> server.  The bootable versions (CD or floppy) are better because they
> can test more of the machine's memory.

7:44 last night with no errors. Mem-map was set to 'auto' - when I set it
to 'all' the screen immediately filled with errors and 'probe' froze the
machine instantly. I think (hope?) these failures represent something odd,
but not broken, in my laptop's bios rather than a real memory error, so I'm
provisionally eliminating memory failure as the cause of my file corruption.

Any idea where I go from here? That file really does change. Could it be a
hard disk problem on the exact spot where this file is? is fsck my friend in
this instance? I'll go and rtfm right now...

Thanks,
Ben