[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The really odd thing is, I installed 6.1 RC2 this afternoon, and it found the NIC and used bge as the driver! Wonder why 6.0 couldn't do that?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Well, IANAE on driver code. However, somehow or another the coder uses a string of information in his/her source code that gets compiled into the *.ko or kernel or some other object file (like I said, IANAE, so you Real Hackers please go easy on any inaccuracies in the description, pointers accepted, flames >/dev/null? ;-) that helps the system to recognize whether or not it can interface with the hardware. For example:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]/usr/obj/backup/src/sys/GENERIC] # strings *bge* | grep Broad

Broadcom BCM5700 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5702 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5703 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5704C Dual Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5704S Dual Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5705K Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5714C Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5750 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5750M Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5782 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5788 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5789 Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5901 Fast Ethernet
Broadcom BCM5901A2 Fast Ethernet

Or, read /sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c. My best guess is that these variations in the Broadcom family are fairly recent additions to the line, and someone (perhaps Mr. Paul himself, and, er, thank you, sir!) added the necessary information to support these new cards since November.

Kevin Kinsey
---
Law of Continuity:
        Experiments should be reproducible.