The first thing we did was install W2K on it and run the HP utility that
updates all firmware - before even trying FreeBSD on it.

Did I mention in the PR that the Broadcom driver for Linux works
flawlessly under OpenSUSE?  I think I did.

Windows also works fine on the box as well (that is, Windows works
as well on it as it works on any other system which isn't much)

The problem is a bug in the bge driver.  Many other people have
filed PR's in the FreeBSD database that refer to problems on a wide
variety of different server hardware, all containing this one specific
chip.  With panics giving the same error message.

Read the PR's cited, it's all there.

Ted