On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 12:19:12PM +0000, Matt Bostock wrote:
> I think I fixed it guys, thanks for all of your help.
>
> Syslogd was choking because /var/log/messages didn't exist. I touched that,
> restarted and all was working again. I did the same for the others (auth.log
> etc), and things seem ok now.

To stop it happening again, take a look at newsyslog.conf(5) and ensure
all permissions are correct, and that newsyslog(8) will create a new log
file or HUP the interested daemon as necessary.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \