On 5/24/06, Garrett Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

my 1.2 GHz could simply be moved from one machine to another and just
work without having to reinstall or recompile FreeBSD or not. I would
think that I could just move the drive to another machine and boot from
it, given the fact that Intel loves making their instruction sets
backwards compatible, but I just need to make sure since I don't want to
invest in something more expensive and discover I have to start from
square one.

I do this fairly often, between similar architectures, using the
default kernel.
You may have to update hostname, IP, DHCP config, etc depending on how
your system/network is configured.

But, as always, make sure you have a good backup. You should also have
a live cd (like FreeSBIE) handy in case your drive designations change
or some hardware is not supported.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--