On Thu, 25 May 2006, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:

Problem is: How do I install the boot code on the drive? FreeDOS
provides a floppy-image, so I thought I could just dd that to my USB
drive, and boot off of that. But I need to put the BIOS upgrade utility
on the disk as well, and it is 784 kiB. Could I grow the image?

mkisofs can be used to create bootable CDs with a DOS floppy image. The DOS system has to set up CD support, and the additional files end up being on that "drive". See

man -P'less -p eltorito_boot' mkisofs

This worked for me with a Win95 install floppy, which sets up the CD drive correctly. I don't know if FreeDOS is compatible enough to be a safe way to try BIOS upgrades.