On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 08:29:58PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 01), lewiz said:
> > At the login: prompt I enter my username (lewiz), hit return and get
> > nothing for a while until:
> >
> > yp_order: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
> Hit ^T during the pause and find out what program is hanging.  You
> probably have a command in your shell's startup script that is trying
> to resolve an NIS username.

^T shows:
load: 1.28  cmd: login 45573 [nanslp] 0.00u 0.04s 0% 1016k

I couldn't find anything about nanslp (locate shows nothing but I
eventually tracked it down to sys/kern/kern_time.c, where it shows up:

sys/kern/kern_time.c:           error = tsleep(&nanowait, PWAIT |
PCATCH, "nanslp",

Hence, it has something to do with the nanosleep(2) syscall.  Other than
this, I don't know what it's doing.  Maybe you are correct that the
shell is trying to do some stuff but I could find nothing like this in
/etc/profile, /etc/csh.cshrc, /etc/csh.login or any of the user's
personal copies.

-lewiz.

--
If only one could get that wonderful feeling of accomplishment without
having to accomplish anything.