John Nielsen wrote:
On Sunday 25 June 2006 20:04, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
On Jun 25, 2006, at 7:35 PM, John Nielsen wrote:
On Sunday 25 June 2006 19:28, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
I updated CUPS and I cannot print to my USB laser printer. The web
interface shows the following:

hp_LaserJet_1160Le (Default Printer) "Unable to open USB device
"usb:/dev/ulpt0": Permission denied"
    Description: Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1160Le
Location: Den
Make and Model: HP LaserJet 1160 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb:/dev/ulpt0

Doing a `dmesg | grep ulpt0`, I get

ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1160 series, rev 1.10/1.00,
addr 2,
iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

The printer itself works (I plugged it directly into my MacBook
and it
printed fine). To ensure it wasn't an awkward build error, I issued a

`portupgrade -fR cups`

and rebuilt it and everything it is dependent upon. Does anyone
else have
any ideas? I am running an early 6.1-STABLE (FreeBSD
6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sat May 13 01:04:32 EDT 2006
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IQKERNEL  i386).
Just a "me too" so far with an el cheapo Lexmark USB laser printer
Are you using the foomatic script? I am, with a PPD from
I am not sure, actually (it was so long ago, I do not remember how I
got it working). I installed hpijs and "Make and Model" mentions
Foomatic/hpijs, so perhaps. I am sorry I could not be of more
assistance with this question.

I'm going to try backing up and blowing away my etc/cups dir, re-
the port, reinstalling foomatic and my ppd, and see if that makes any
difference. I'll post whatever I learn.
Thank you for posting your findings and for your quick reply.

No luck. I basically re-installed everything (including config files and the foomatic filters) from scratch. I also changed the permissions on /dev/ulpt0 to be 0664 for root:cups. That prevents the permissions error, but I still get nothing from the printer. The message that comes up in the cups web interface when I try to print a test page is:

"/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/usb failed"

I did get my other printer (on a different machine) working with cups 1.2.0 by just changing the permissions on the device node. I hadn't ever set this printer up with cups before today, though. It's using gutenprint.


Check the error log for more verbose messages (located in /var/log/cups/ or from the cups web interface).

From what I've read while trying to solve my failure is that some of the backends/drivers don't work properly with the new cups. We're probably dealing with several simultaneous failures that need to be worked out.

FWIW, cups is working with an Epson 777 and the gimp-print drivers using /dev/unlpt0. It seems to work as well as it did before once I got the permissions issue worked out.

_______________________________________________ mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to