Thierry Lacoste wrote:
On Tuesday 11 July 2006 18:24, Micah wrote:
Thierry Lacoste wrote:
I'm running FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and installed samba-3.0.22,1
from a relatively recent snapshot or /usr/ports.

Here is the global section of my /usr/local/etc/smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = OFFICE
        server string = Samba Server
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        logon script = scripts\logon.bat
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 35
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes

After a fresh install of samba smbpasswd gives this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# smbpasswd -a admin
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Unable to open/create TDB passwd
Unable to open/create TDB passwd
pdb_getsampwnam: TDB passwd (/usr/local/private/passdb.tdb) did not
exist. File successfully created.
Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)

Then it gives this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# smbpasswd -a admin
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Unable to open/create TDB passwd
pdb_getsampwnam: Unable to open TDB passwd
(/usr/local/private/passdb.tdb)! account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32
failed for field 1 (min password length), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 2 (password
history), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 3 (user must logon
to change password), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 4 (maximum password
age), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 5 (minimum password
age), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 6 (lockout
duration), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 7 (reset count
minutes), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 8 (bad lockout
attempt), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 9 (disconnect
time), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 10 (refuse machine
password change), returning 0
TDBSAM version too old (0), trying to convert it.
TDBSAM converted successfully.
Added user admin.

After that, samba seems to work properly.

If I touch /usr/local/private/passdb.tdb after a fresh install of samba
I have directly the second behavior (no segfault) and then again samba
is operational.

What did I miss?

Regards,
Thierry.
You possibly found a bug in the port. Contact the maintainer or file a pr.

HTH,
Micah
Thanks. I did contact the maintainer.

I tried with FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE and samba-3.0.14a_1,1 from the ToolKit disk.
When I first use smbpasswd I only have the account_policy_get failures
(no segfault).

BTW I searched the web about the account_policy_get failures but couldn't
find any explanation exept that it is safe to ignore those messages when
smbpasswd is used for the first time.
Can someone shed some light on them?

Regards,
Thierry.

My guess, without looking at the source code, is that smbpasswd tries to access passwddb.tbd before adding the first password. Since the file is empty, it's an invalid file and generates errors.

HTH,
Micah