Alvaro Gil wrote to [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I was trying to upload some stuff on my server today and I realized
> the /user partition was 100% full.  After investigating a bit I
> found that the public ftp incoming directory I had set up for some
> friends as full of directories and sub directories.

This last happened to us about 3 years ago, at which time I noted
granting any sort of upload permission to anonymous FTP was a bad
idea. At least without limits in place.

> Some said "scanned by pitbull".  Is this some kind of worm floating
> around.

Not that I'm aware of. Most likely as another poster suggested.

> Unfortunately I had to 86 the incoming directory.  Damned Internet
> hooligans.

If you still for some reason need to grant anonymous upload privilege
(I can't really see why), then I'd advise looking into a more
sophisticated FTP daemon that can implement storage quotas. (ProFTPd
is one such application). That won't prevent 'attacks' like this, but
it will at least mitigate the impact on storage, other users, and
traffic charges.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon