Kurt Wall wrote:
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 07:13:03AM -0400, Kurt Wall wrote:
On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 03:47:32PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
I've got 80 or so html/php files. Most do have <BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF">
        but a whole slew do not/are missing the BG color code.
So is there some scripto-magic way of finding out which fles are missing the above string? I know how, using an ed/ex script to insert this string.
I'd probably do "grep -vi bgcolor filename"

[bad form to reply to my own post, etc.]

Doh! You want to *insert* the string, not (just) find the ones that don't have it. My ed/ex chops blow, so with sed:

sed -i '' 's/<BODY>/<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">/' file_name

Kurt
You may just want to use CSS as well instead of hardcoding in HTML values like that. The background-color property is pretty much common and universal in all browsers, since CSS 1.0(/1.1?).
-Garrett