I have started over. I am back to this level:
FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE #0: Tue Aug  1 17:59:18 CDT 2006

With MySQL server 4.1 installed and working. Now to build
Apache13-modssl and hopefully add PHP to it. However, I cannot find
mod_php5 in ports. Is this port deprecated and is now gone? If this is
the case, how should I build this out?

I have read all of your responses up to this point, and thank you all
for responding. The responses are for the most part what I remember from
building my last web server some months ago, but now it seems my old
methods may be obsolete or need refining.

Please continue to help out, as it is really appreciated.

Try /usr/ports/lang/php5

Then pick the apache module... that should pick up apache as well...

-philip

RC