Run diagnostics from Dell and from the hard drive manufacturer.

        -Derek

At 07:32 AM 8/25/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi:

I just installed FreeBSD 6.1 on a new Dell desktop that's going to act as
a temporary server while I migrate two older servers (4.10-STABLE) over to
all new software, the reconfigure it to act as a remote amanda server when
that's complete.

I've noticed a bunch of these errors in the syslog:

Aug 25 11:15:15 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
left) LBA=29736031
Aug 25 11:27:09 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
left) LBA=12168863
Aug 25 11:30:15 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
left) LBA=8026047
Aug 25 11:50:24 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
left) LBA=29736031

I did some googling, and found some seem to think it could be a problem
with the disk, whereas others think it's nothing.  Before I put this thing
into production, even if it's only going to be there for a couple of days,
I'd like to make sure.

Please reply directly, as I am not subscribed.

Thanks!

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://3.am

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.