OK, I'll try with another mouse ps2 style & see if it is any different.

As far as killing the moused, I'd be fine if I knew exactly how to
restart it, to see if that will fix the problem without rebooting...

I believe it's currently set up as /dev/sysmouse.  I have not actually
needed to "set it up" as simply starting the mouse demon in
/stand/sysinstall makes it work.  I have not configured it since.  MS
Windows sees the mouse pad as a ps2 mouse.

Thanks Randall