I'm trying to understand the use of mailcap for MIME translation within a mail client. I installed mail/metamail, which created a .mailcap file in my home directory. That file appears to be a copy of the run-mailcap script. But what does it do? It seems like it does nothing.

What I'm trying to do is get the mail client to open an image viewer when I double-click on a jpeg attachment. The mail client is designed to source the mailcap file from /etc/, /usr/local/etc/ and from ~/.mailcap.

What am I missing here?  What's the best/proper way to do this?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/