Good morning, Mr. Mittelstaedt.  Again, many thanks for your response to my
question.  My original purpose in purchasing the computer was to install
multiple operating systems for hobbyist purpose.  The computer's major
selling point was that it has five hard drives.  My original idea was to
install a different operating system on each one.  When I discovered that
it had the rather sophisticated RAID-5 system implemented in hardware, I
discarded that idea in favor of partitioning the hard drive to install the
operating systems.  The next operating system that I wanted after Windows
Server 2000, with which it came equipped was FreeBSD.  This project has
become painfully involved, first of all, because I did not understand the
fact, documented nowhere, that the BIOS of a computer intended to be a
server is totally different from the BIOS of a computer intended to be a
workstation.  With experience, and with information eventually traded
across the internet from other computer enthusiasts trying to do the same
thing, I have eventually gained enough understanding of the BIOS to
proceed.  The process has also been stymied by the fact that the developers
of the boot program for sysinstall have failed, even in its latest edition,
to install in BOOT the necessary features to read the output of a Compaq
server BIOS, in particular the ability to correctly interpret the size of
memory.  Thanks to you, other respondents, and experience, I feel that I
now have a grip of that issue.  My latest problem stems from the fact that
I had intended to install a portion of the BSD operating system in a
primary Windows partition (BSD slice) below the 1024 cylinder limit, and
the rest of it in a larger Windows logical partition within the extended
partition, above 1024 cylinders.  Even though the handbook, as well as
several other documents, clearly states that the operating system cannot be
loaded into a logical partition, the implication of that statement did not
register in my brain until I tried to do it.  I wonder if system designers
realize the extent to which the requirements that the entire system, or at
least the boot BSD partition be loaded below 1024 cylinders, and the
requirement that the operating system not be loaded into the extended
Windows partition are in conflict in a multiple operating system
environment.  Some documentation says that the 1024 cylinder limit does not
apply in many cases, but it never says when it applies and when it does not
apply.  I feel, that to make this system work, I will have to use some type
of exotic partition manager such as Ranish or XOSL that can create a large
number of primary partitions.  I had originally wished to stick with GNU
tools such as parted and grub.  I realize my explanation is a bit long
winded, but I hope it clarifies my goals.  Yours truly, Lee Shackelford

             "Ted
             Mittelstaedt"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             o.com>                    <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>,
                                       "Lee Shackelford"
             09/06/2006 11:07          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: installing 6.1 on Compaq
                                       Proliant 5000

This isn't unusual, it happens with certain array cards.

If the disk drivers of each different operating system don't agree in how
the "disk" is laid out that the intelligent driver array controller
presents
them, then your screwed - you cannot use the array card for a multi-boot
system.

Sometimes you can get away with it by installing FreeBSD on part of
the disk, and a subsequent disk driver will see the FreeBSD partition and
understand not to overwrite it.  But, sometimes not.

It strikes me that Win 2003 Server is going to run dogpile slow, I
simply cannot fathom why you want to multiboot this system in the
first place.  The only OS's that are going to run worth a damn on it
are Linux and FreeBSD, and you just need to pick one or the
other.

Ted

PS:  You do understand the difference between FreeBSD
slices, FreeBSD partitions, and IBM/BIOS partitions don't you?
That is your not doing something incorrect like trying to install
another OS within a FreeBSD "logical slice"