On Sep 14, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Derek Ragona wrote:

SATA is still quite limited. To go beyond those limits use SAS, but SAS costs even more than SCSI and is brand new technology.

Get a 12 or 16 or 24 port Areca card and have a few hot spares and you will see SATA fly for less money than SCSI with higher storage and as high or higher reliability (RAID 6 plus hot spares)...

I used to be SCSI only but these new cards and drives offer a lot more for the money and you can make up for reliability by sheer mass and raid 6 and hot spares :-)

Chad

        -Derek

At 10:46 AM 9/14/2006, Bill Moran wrote:

> Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > Frank Bonnet wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >> I need SCSI Disks of course , budget is around 10K$
> >
> > Why the insistence on SCSI? Is there any reason that SATA or RAID with
> > SATA is not acceptable? Just curious.
>
>   Because I want it

Has anyone every verified whether or not SATA has the problems that plagued
ATA?  Such as crappy quality and lying caches?

Personally, I still demand SCSI on production servers because it still
seems as if:
a) The performance is still better
b) The reliability is still better

But I haven't taken a comprehensive look at the SATA offerings. It also
seems as if SATA is more limiting.  Most SCSI cards can support 16
devices, does SATA have similar offerings? I know it's not common, but
if you need that many spindles, you need them!

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

believed to be clean.