On Sep 15, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Peter wrote:
Yes, the Flash issue is a real bummer.  It is best *not* to show your
friends that when you introduce them to FBSD.

Why?  Is there some reason that you or they want to watch ads?

I can't think of a single site that I use that needs Flash; I don't install it even on a Windows or MacOS X box.

--
-Chuck

Unfortunately a lot of consumer sites are starting to use flash as a semi-static and predictable way to deliver content to people; it's incredibly annoying, and becomes very noticeable once you install stuff that blocks SWF files: http://www.noscript.net/whats :). Thus, that is one solution to get rid of your ads (adblock+ is another, but meh), so you can keep Flash functionality and get rid of crappy Flash animations, while surfing the net.

Also, FYI: a lot of sites have built animations with (Adobe) Flash 9, so unless you have a Windows or Mac PC nearby you probably won't be able to load up animations on a Unix PC as the latest version available is 7.

-Garrett