Edward and Nancy Powers wrote:

  I am new to UNIX, and want to download a basic UNIX system, just to
  run commands and become familiar with the system.  I wish to use this
  system as a companion piece to a UNIX tutorial which I have on DVD. I
  do not want to replace Windows at this time.

  My PC has:  Pentium III Processor at 1GHz, 128MB RAM at 133 MHz,
  Windows ME operating system.

  What course of action do you recommend that I take?

  Thanks.

  Ed Powers

If you want to do it on the cheap, try a LiveCD.

http://www.freesbie.org

Not sure if this distro would let you do what your DVD is asking you to do, but you can run it on your machine without changing your existing system.

If money isn't a big deal, if I were in your shoes I would buy a new machine with XP, install whatever you want to play with on the old machine, and buy a KVM switch. I found FreeBSD a lot easier to learn while I had a working Windows machine that I was familiar with at my fingertips. IMHO, the problem your most likely to run into when trying to run two OS's on a single machine is that if you run into a problem, you have to reboot to get on a working system to get on the Internet and find help.

Another option would be vmware, but I don't know if it will run on ME. According to their site, it's only listed as a guest system, not a host system.

Best regards,
Greg Groth